A few things that are good to know before you come along to your first class!
Yoga is practised throughout the world and for a variety of reasons:
- To improve body awareness, concentration, flexibility
- To develop a positive attitude
- For tranquillity, for inner peace
- As a path towards meditation
Yoga is safe for most people when practised at the right level, but if there is any doubt about the advisability of practising yoga, please consult your doctor. Here are a few guidelines to help you get the most out of your practice
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing, which allows you to move and breathe easily
- Yoga is always practised bare foot – if this is a problem, please notify the tutor
- You will need a yoga mat which is large enough to take your full body length (these are easily available at Argos, TK Maxx and sports retailers for very reasonable prices)
- You will need an extra layer of clothing to put on for deep relaxation at the end of class
- Bring a blanket to help in some postures and also for covering up during relaxation
- Allow 2 hours after eating a light meal and 4 hours after eating a main meal before practising yoga
- There is no competition in yoga, not even with oneself! All posture and breath work is completed within the capacity of the individual
- When practising yoga, try to be aware of what is going on in your body, which parts of the body are affected
- Go into and come out of postures slowly and carefully
- If you experience any pain or discomfort, ease back on the stretch and gently come out of the posture
- You will be asked to complete a health form; the information requested is confidential to your tutor and is to indicate any special requirements or health problems
- Classes are pre-paid in blocks of 6 weeks; unfortunately we are not able to refund you for any missed classes or roll-over any un-used weeks. Please discuss options with the tutor if you think you will miss a number of classes in a term.
Whatever your reason for joining a yoga class – leave your day to day concerns behind and enjoy your own special time!